YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Beautiful Boy Movie Spoiler ALERT!



You can love someone but you can't fix them. 

I don't think  I have ever felt so sad, helpless watching the memoirs of  David Sheff, helping and battling with his son's crystal meth addiction. 
Now the strange thing is that white lies come and go as teenagers to our parents. White lies. 
Now the thing is that drugs for instance their is no way to hide the downfall and this is how we are taken by a father's perspective and honestly his desperation buy seeing his sons downfall in Beautiful Boy.


I feel David is a father that tries to bond with his first son and that he admires him and his likes and intellectual. 
He has great hopes for Nic watching him grow up so maybe  in a way that optimism blocked him from seeing where the could all lead or the red flags 

I say this because the scene of them smoking marihuana together. 
Now I dont know if I would ever be hit with this dilemma with my daughter, but I believe everyone has a role in life and I say this now who knows if this comes to bite me but I wouldn´t want to smoke with my daughter or make it seem it´s ok.

Foremost because I really see them as gateway drugs. 

So, David indulges in this like friend figure laughing with his son as they smoke together.
I really can´t pinpoint Nic´s view on life but he seems so angry, isolated and well we all have been on that rabbit hole where we hang out with our darkness and take pleasure in it. 

As Nic reads a Charles Bukowski poem you can hear him say this poem has saved my life many times, leaving the spectator to see that probably has had some suicidal attempts. 


You can see he is part of divorced parents as you can see when his dad sends him off in the airport by himself. 
I honestly don´t know what it is about divorcing that breaks one, personally being daughter of two parents who never got past their own conflicts I dont know if one always questions the reason they cant get along and well if a parent is absent it takes a toll on everything. 

Could this be part of Nic´s angst and confusion in his teenagers years? His isolation, his self destruction? or did he just get get caught up in the wrong drugs?

The movie takes you on this perspective of the dad trying to understand the addiction, seeking help and ultimately even trying it.

He wants to understand his son and that is why it is so heartbreaking because he calls him and he is there to pick him and even to going great lengths as to buying the drug to see what it is all about. 

I fell in love with his perspective, I fell in love with his heartfelt desperation to try to understand how even seeing his son addicted and abusing a substance how their was only kindness in his eyes towards him. 


Also, it shows how a whole family dynamics changes completely, his wife Karen Barbour has a more rough perspective, like when  she finds that Nic is in the house and he abruptly leaves, she follows him in the car and you can really tell she´s just had it. She´s taking the steering wheel that David can´t.  

The dynamics of going to new rehabs, studying prices taking flights because Nic has OD, saying no to his pleas.  

Timothee, I am a huge fan of his acting and this one was no exception. 
Th sadness, the confusion, the way he just falls aparts. The way he lies that you can see its for drugs.

The hardest part for me was when his almost ex gf dies & he is defensive when she asks him to go with her to the hospital. 


Well, I really enjoyed this movie and if you would like to see something that may resonate with you I suggest you see it.  I have been with people under addiction and its just so heartbreaking seeing how they lose control of their life and how you see a beautiful star just come crashing down. How they all of sudden start hanging with people that they shouldn´t. 

So let me know in the comments if you enjoyed it. 

xoxox Lupe 







No comments:

Post a Comment